The Proposal

indiblogger
Source: thoughtcatalog.com


Boy’s POV:

Last week when I had the golden opportunity of reading her journal in her absence, I discovered it was me whom she adored. She had written that I was ‘The One You Cannot Have’ for her. Yes, she was a big Preeti Shenoy fan. I came across many flattering descriptions about myself like ‘blessed with the handsomest face’, ‘sapphire blue eyes’, ‘chiseled nose’, ‘jet black hair’. Was it really so? I wonder. I was thanking my stars that she didn’t notice my extra big ears and my sometimes awkward gait. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, they say. 

There was more about my smartness; ‘quick and classy’ wit; high taste for art, antique seals, curios, statues, coins and documents; and my aim to be an art historian in future. And another three pages about my fashion sense; my black tailored suits, my fetish for hats, how I twirl it around my finger before mounting it on and how I believed that fashion is the luxury one should allow oneself to indulge in. She did notice it all. Did she have the slightest idea that I completely reciprocated her feelings?

Yesterday I heard her gossiping with her besties about Iraq war, buried treasures in Japan, and conspiracies behind the Old Testament. All were topics that I was crazy about. Seemingly, she had already developed a deep interest about everything I liked. How to make her realize that I’m not that extraordinary? The one extraordinary and amazing in every sense is her. I’ve decided to make her know this on Valentine’s Day.


Girl’s POV:

I was stunned. The trees looked beautiful with the lanterns, the lights and the elaborate decoration. It was the same preparation every year on the Valentine’s Day eve, but it still managed to surprise me. Then he came with blue roses, orchids and lavender. The fragrance was wonderful. And then he spoke for the longest five minutes of my life.

“I am madly, deeply and irrevocable in awe of you. I won’t say ‘love with you’ yet, as I don’t take love casually. I like every version of you- the notice-me-not you, the geeky you hiding behind the book racks and peeking at me, the bespectacled you, and the gossipy you. You are innocent enough to be corruptible, but you are resolute and fiery in situations that I almost think you can’t handle. I don’t find you boring at all. You are an enigma. Allow me to be a part of your life.”


I wanted to vanish in thin air at first. Then I desperately wished the ground to shallow me before I could blush further. And then I wanted to feel the feelings unhindered, without doubt. I said Ok- a resonating stupid one syllable, Ok.

P.S::This post is for Cupid Games. I agree to ensure (to the best of my abilities and circumstances) that my blog post remains accessible in an un-altered state for a minimum of one year.

Comments

Queeristan by Parmesh Sahani

Image
  Queeristan (Amazon Link) Thanks to Audible Free Trial I listened to this amazing non-fiction on LGBTQ inclusion in Indian workplaces. Author Parmesh Sahani identifies as gay Indian, working closely with Godrej higher management and employees for years to create an inclusive workplace, both legally and in spirit. This book is a result of those years of experience, research, collaboration with individuals from difference spectrum of the society and organizations who has successfully transitioned into a queer friendly one.   Indian history is inclusive. From the Khajuraho temple architectures, to Konark to the Rig Veda, there is existing proofs even 2000 years ago of Indian inclusiveness of queer. It’s the draconian British law that criminalised it, which was scraped in 2009, came into effect once again following a sad judgement in 2013 and eventually was scraped off for good in 2018. I am in awe of the lawyers who fought this legal battle- colleagues and partners – Arundhati Katju

Popular posts from this blog

Empress Ki : A story of an epic scale

E[x]ploring Odia Literature Through 'Punyatoya'

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

When Breathe Becomes Air

Latest Binge - Emily in Paris

The Hyderabad Playlist – A song story

July : A Month of Massive Changes #MondayMusings