Being Grateful

practicing gratitude


When I sit down to count my blessings, I always realize that the list is endless. Loving parents, caring friends, a sister who adores me, the ability to make it in life, and many more. They are the people who remind me of my worth when I am down and all consumed in self pity. They are the people among certain others whom I owe my well being and happiness. Their words have helped me overcome many self imposed barriers; I am so grateful for their very presence in my life.

Being grateful is the secret to happiness and the science of contentment. Happiness is loving and accepting what you have and being grateful for it. And there is always something there to be thankful for, even if we think we are suffering the most. We tend to miss those things if we take them for granted. I am thankful for everything in my life, everything that has played a part into molding me to who I am today. I have realized that things happen for a reason, and every wrong turn becomes right in the larger aspect of life.

“Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.” ― Alphonse KarrA Tour Round My Garden

I have finally inculcated two habits into my every living moment. One is sending a silent 'thank you' to the universe with all sincerity for every little thing that is worth being grateful for. Self talks that always go on within me now comprise more of positives, and counting the blessings than anything negative. Second one is wishing a 'bless you' for one person daily known or unknown, close or distant, with all my heart.

I am going to acknowledge even the smallest of gestures that bring a smile to my face, or a tender thought. I will appreciate every gift that life has to offer however unconventional and seemingly negligible.

practicing gratitude

Comments

Queeristan by Parmesh Sahani

Image
  Queeristan (Amazon Link) Thanks to Audible Free Trial I listened to this amazing non-fiction on LGBTQ inclusion in Indian workplaces. Author Parmesh Sahani identifies as gay Indian, working closely with Godrej higher management and employees for years to create an inclusive workplace, both legally and in spirit. This book is a result of those years of experience, research, collaboration with individuals from difference spectrum of the society and organizations who has successfully transitioned into a queer friendly one.   Indian history is inclusive. From the Khajuraho temple architectures, to Konark to the Rig Veda, there is existing proofs even 2000 years ago of Indian inclusiveness of queer. It’s the draconian British law that criminalised it, which was scraped in 2009, came into effect once again following a sad judgement in 2013 and eventually was scraped off for good in 2018. I am in awe of the lawyers who fought this legal battle- colleagues and partners – Arundhati Katju

Popular posts from this blog

Empress Ki : A story of an epic scale

E[x]ploring Odia Literature Through 'Punyatoya'

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Latest Binge - Emily in Paris

When Breathe Becomes Air

A Gratitude List: The Sweetest Thing in a Seekers' Life

My Last Trip Before Lockdown