Down the Memory Lane #UnwrapChristmas

Christmas joy


It only takes a spark to get the fire going.
And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing.
That’s how it is with God’s love,
Once you have experienced it
You want to sing
You feel like spring

You want to pass it on…

A few of us gathered together for Secret Santa tidings, divided by names and united through a common Christmas spirit of sharing. And it is in this spirit that we bring this blog chain to you.

I am thankful to Roshan Radhakrishnan for passing on the baton of spreading Christmas joy and spirit.

It is here through words and my secret santee that I #UnwrapChristmas on my blog for you.




Christmas’s here. The season of giving, the season of festivities and cheer.
It’s December and our perfect occasion for the year-end celebration has arrived. Families are preparing for picnics, friends and colleges are planning parties, and kids are excited about their winter vacations. Companies are organizing fun events for their employees- secret santas, treasure hunts, make-a-wish charity campaigns, ethnic wear prizes, and several other Christmas bonanzas. Just yesterday I took part in such a fun event, a treasure hunt. We had to search for a list of items within a stipulated time. I went around asking the gardeners the location of a papaya tree in the campus, as none of us knew that. The process was hilarious. One of us brought a print out of the newspaper 'The Odisha Post' as the dailies were all taken by the competitors. One of us took a black coffee mug from a colleague even though he had not finished his drink, lest anyone else should grab it. It was fun and memorable. We ended the event with a groupie and the announcement of winners. It’s an eventful time of the year, and a precursor to the New Year Celebrations next year. We’re so excited, aren’t we?


#UnwrapChristmas


Christmas markets are bustling in the city. Colors of the season- red, green and white dominate the stalls and shops. Tradition and festivities mark the occasion. Tiny trinkets, bells, rein deer, mini santas dressed in red, curios, wrapped stuffs, gifts, and so many things more. I love decorative stars and paper hangings. Santa masks are cool too. I miss school days- those carefree days when Christmas was all about cakes, making greeting cards for teachers and going to the church with friends in the evening. I studied in convent schools, so church was inside the school campus. And at home my sister and I watched animated Christmas special movies- ‘Polar Express’ being the ultimate favorite. I have lost count of the number of times we have watched it. Do watch it if you haven’t. Unwrap the child in you.


#UnwrapChristmas


Unwrapping my Christmas gift from secret santa was the most thrilling moment of December. Thank you Santa, I loved the gifts. Now I can start reading my next Murakami book. George Orwell’s ‘1984’ was also recommended to me by fellow readers. December has brought me so many novels. Such a great end to the 2015. Smiles! Giggles! Excited indeed!

It was nice to be someone’s secret santa too. I hope it would reach him soon. I had a tough time thinking and selecting the gift. Hope he likes it.


I now invite Shilpa Garg to spread the message of Christmas and new years on their blog.





Comments

Queeristan by Parmesh Sahani

Image
  Queeristan (Amazon Link) Thanks to Audible Free Trial I listened to this amazing non-fiction on LGBTQ inclusion in Indian workplaces. Author Parmesh Sahani identifies as gay Indian, working closely with Godrej higher management and employees for years to create an inclusive workplace, both legally and in spirit. This book is a result of those years of experience, research, collaboration with individuals from difference spectrum of the society and organizations who has successfully transitioned into a queer friendly one.   Indian history is inclusive. From the Khajuraho temple architectures, to Konark to the Rig Veda, there is existing proofs even 2000 years ago of Indian inclusiveness of queer. It’s the draconian British law that criminalised it, which was scraped in 2009, came into effect once again following a sad judgement in 2013 and eventually was scraped off for good in 2018. I am in awe of the lawyers who fought this legal battle- colleagues and partners – Arundhati Katju

Popular posts from this blog

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Empress Ki : A story of an epic scale

When Breathe Becomes Air

Latest Binge - Emily in Paris

E[x]ploring Odia Literature Through 'Punyatoya'

A Gratitude List: The Sweetest Thing in a Seekers' Life

My Last Trip Before Lockdown